If you think that the title of this article is redundant, because your home is supposed to be the safest place for you- you are in for a surprise. Yes, the air outdoors is terrible, which is why you wear a mask every time you leave your home, but have you considered if the air inside your home is safe? Other than the usual pollutants, there can be many other particles in the air inside your home which can lead to health complications. These are not visible to the naked eye, but can cause considerable damage. This is exactly why you need to monitor the air quality inside your house, and the first step to that would be to test the air inside your home. Read on to know why this is more than mere paranoia.
- Harmful microorganisms.
Let us begin from the simplest and most common problems- mold, mildew and various types of bacteria. The temperature inside your home is the perfect to house a range of microorganisms which can affect your health. Especially in your bathroom and attic, microorganisms can grow and multiply and also affect the structural integrity of your house. While you can spot mold, other microorganisms will not be so easy, and they can cause serious respiratory problems.
- Particles from combustion.
Indoor air pollution is greatly caused by gas and combustible particles, especially if your house has poor ventilation. Gas stoves, fireplaces, space heaters and other such devices can release harmful gases such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and a range of particulate matter. These gases can cause a number of respiratory and neuromuscular disorders. These devices should be inspected timely to ensure that they are working well, since it is not really possible to live without them. It is also important to ensure proper ventilation around the house.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
If you notice a strange smell lingering around your home after repairs or installations, these are from various VOCs that are present in almost all consumer products. Some of them cannot be detected by smell either. Formaldehyde is one such dangerous VOC, which is a well-known carcinogen. In case these remain in your home for too long, you may experience sudden chest pains or strange symptoms.
This is naturally found in soil, and is pretty harmless as long as it stays outdoors. Asbestos is heat resistant and was extensively used in building and construction works in the past. Although it has been banned, for older houses, it is very probable that construction materials used asbestos. This is an extremely harmful compound since it can significantly contribute to lung cancer.
Pet droppings and pesticides can also find their way in the house and these are not on good terms with your immune system either. It is not always possible to avoid all of these, hence getting the indoor air quality tested can give you an idea on how to change or upgrade your lifestyle.
Software engineer, coder and SEO enthusiast.