Motorcyclists are vulnerable to road accidents more than a person driving the car or a truck. Even if they survive the crash, they may end up gaining severe injuries which will surely change their life.
If you had been the victim of a motorcycle accident, it’s time to recover damages. If you have heard about these terms but have no idea about how to initiate the process, here are some for the essential points that will help you comprehend so that you can file for your claim-
– Before you go out and claim your damages, you need to have a better understanding of the damages. Well, there are two types of damages-
Compensatory/Monetary: Compensatory damages are just a monetary settlement between the victim and the at-fault party where the guilty have to compensate the victim via their insurance providers, or the court awards them. Compensatory damages are further of two types-
- Economic Damages- Economic damages are referred to the expenses the victim had to make after the accidents. It can include medical treatment charges to pay the medical bill—secondly, the loss of income due to difficulty in joining the office after the accident. Thirdly, you can claim for the compensation for life long disability after the accident which has lost your capacity to earn in future.
- Non-Economic Damages- These damages are associated with the impact of the accident on the victim’s life. So, they include claims related to emotional distress, suffering, loss of enjoyment and loss of consortium (usually paid to the partner of the victim for loss of physical intimacy).
Disciplinary Damages: Punitive damages are different from the compensatory damages which are incurred because of the economic or non-economic reasons. Here the court awards the litigant with the charges for his madcap behaviour. These charges are taxable and not compensatory, looking at the criminal history or accident history of the defendant.
Why Should You Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer?
One of the biggest reasons to hire a personal injury lawyer is he understands each official term profoundly and knows how to deal with the at-fault party, which will be difficult for you to do after going through the accident. Let’s learn some of the other reasons to rely on the personal injury lawyer-
- He can deal with the insurance providers- Insurance companies are smart enough to fool the victim by paying less or no compensation at all. Besides, they make a sheer attempt to talk to the victim and deceive them. Therefore, when you have your personal injury lawyer with you, he can cross-question the insurers and get you what you deserve.
- He has experience in handling such cases- Since he is in the business from quite a time, he knows how to manage and present your case. He spends every minute learning the case and finding the evidence. With all the evidence and appropriate paperwork, he can either ask for a settlement from the at-fault party or move the court for the same.
Software engineer, coder and SEO enthusiast.