Mould Allergy: Symptoms and Treatment

Mould is a type of fungus that breeds in moisture, either indoors or outdoors. While the mould spores continually floating in the air can trigger reactions, the problem deteriorates when these spores attach to a wet surface and mould starts to grow. The key allergen in mould is the mould spore. Since these spores can ultimately make their way into the air, they can also make their way into your nose. This activates an allergic reaction. These moulds have also been associated to allergies and asthma.

Although there are many categories of moulds, only a limited dozen causes allergic reactions. Many moulds breed on rotting logs and fallen leaves, compost piles and other bio-degrading elements. Most outdoor moulds become sedentary during the winter. In the spring they breed on plants killed by the cold temperatures. Inside, fungi grow in humid areas. They can frequently be found in the bathroom, kitchen or basement.

Symptoms of Mould allergy:

The symptoms of mould allergy are quite analogous to the symptoms of other allergies, such as sneezing, itching, runny nose, congestion and dry, scaling skin.

If your allergies are intensified by asthma, you may find that your asthma symptoms getting worse when you’re uncovered to mould. Symptoms of asthma include:

  • coughing
  • difficulty breathing
  • chest tightness

Mould allergy symptoms differ from person to person and range from mild to serious. You may have perennial symptoms or symptoms that are visible only during specific times of the year. You may notice symptoms when the weather is humid or when you’re at places that have high concentrations of mould.

Risk Factors:

Numerous factors can make you more probable to develop a mould allergy or deteriorate your prevailing mould allergy symptoms, including:

  1. If allergies and asthma run in your family, you’re more expected to develop a mould allergy.
  2. If your indoor humidity is higher than 50 percent, you may have amplified exposure to mould in your home. Mould can grow practically anywhere if the conditions are right. Exposure to high stages of household mould may trigger mould allergy symptoms.
  3. Living in a house with meagre ventilation. Tight window and door seals may trap moisture indoors and avoid proper ventilation, creating idyllic conditions for mould growth. Damp areas, such as bathrooms, kitchens and basements are most susceptible.

Management and Treatment:

If you are suspicious you might have a mould allergy, or if you have comparable symptoms that continue to persevere, consult an allergist. Allergists are specifically trained to help you take control of your allergies and asthma. They can also conduct skin or blood tests that aid pinpoint the allergy.

Antihistamines and decongestants can assist relieve the symptoms. Plan in advance and wear a dust mask, or take allergy medications prior to being in proximity of potential sources of mould. Once you are finished, get rid of mould spores by washing your nose with a saline solution and taking a shower. When working in situations where outdoor mould may be extant, wearing a face mask can radically reduce your exposure to the allergen. Masks that shield your respiratory system from being affected by mould spore exposure are easily available.